A Family Law Attorney

Who Puts Family First

Considerations when asking for child custody relocation

On Behalf of | Apr 13, 2021 | Child Custody |

Pennsylvania parents whose marriages have ended may find themselves wanting to relocate after the divorce is finalized. This isn’t anything new for a lot of divorced couples as they feel like putting space between them will help. However, modifying a child custody agreement to include your relocation can be a bit difficult to do.

Assessing good faith versus bad faith moves

Judges will take many factors into consideration when determining whether or not to approve your child custody relocation request. One of the biggest ones that they consider is the reason behind the relocation. Reasons are typically classified as either in good faith or in bad faith.

Some examples of bad faith moves would be to limit your ex’s access to your children, reduce your child support payments and to get away from your ex as a form of revenge. Some examples of good faith moves include putting yourself closer to extended family members, seeking a better job opportunity, seeking more affordable housing, or continuing your education. In the event that your relocation is done out of bad faith, it’s unlikely that the judge will approve the request.

It all comes down to the best interest of the child

When judges make a decision about the custody of a child, they will always look for the child’s best interest. When it comes to the topic of relocation, you’re going to have your work cut out for you as disrupting the regular life of a child is a big negative factor. It will be your job to prove that your relocation will be better for your child.

Child custody matters are always taken with the utmost care by family court judges. When one parent decides they would like to relocate after a divorce is finalized, they will need to ask for a modification to the child custody agreement. If you find yourself in this situation, it’s a good idea to contact an attorney to help prove that the move is in the best interest of your child.