A Family Law Attorney

Who Puts Family First

What to do if you’re not seeing eye to eye with your ex about the kids

On Behalf of | Nov 17, 2020 | Custody Plans |

Maybe it takes some time for the conflicts over the kids to happen post-divorce. Or maybe it happens right away. Regardless, if you have children with your ex-spouse and you’re not getting along, it’s critical that you take action.

Here’s what you should do if you’re not seeing eye to eye about your parenting with your ex-spouse and realize that it’s time to do something about it:

  • Fall back on your parenting agreement: Your parenting plan outlines the rights and responsibilities of both parents, so this is the best place to start your search for a resolution.
  • Talk about it: It may not be easy to talk to your ex-spouse about your feelings, especially if you don’t like something they’re doing, but it’s better than letting the problem fester. Get your true feelings into the open, negotiate and compromise. It can be a challenge, but it’ll leave everyone in a better place.
  • Request a modification: If nothing else works, consider requesting a modification of your parenting agreement. This is the most advanced approach, as you have to get court approval, but it may be necessary for ensuring a better future for you and your children. If you’re going to take this approach, make sure you know what it entails.

Action is necessary

Don’t assume that things will get worked out without some kind of legal intervention. This is unlikely to happen, and even it does it’ll likely leave you in a bad spot. When you’re not seeing eye to eye with your ex, follow the steps above to get back on track. Do it for yourself, do it for your children and do it for the betterment of your future.