A Family Law Attorney

Who Puts Family First

What to do when your spouse doesn’t want a divorce

On Behalf of | Jun 21, 2021 | Divorce |

Although you may be committed to ending your marriage, your spouse may not feel the same way. While Pennsylvania law doesn’t prohibit you from unilaterally seeking to dissolve a marriage, it may not always be your best option. In some cases, it may be possible to solve the problem that led you to ask for a divorce.

Make the decision that is best for you

Regardless of what you choose to do, make sure that any decision that you make is truly your own. There is a good chance that your spouse will try to convince you to stay by saying kind things about you, buying gifts or pointing out the reasons why it would be best to stay married. However, once the prospect of a divorce is off of the table, that person will likely go back to his or her familiar ways.

A cooling-off period might be in order

State law may require you to wait several weeks or months before a divorce petition will be considered and approved. Therefore, you have time to consider whether ending your marriage is truly in your best interest. It may be a good idea to spend some time in a different city or state while you contemplate your future. Taking such a step can give you the space needed to consider your options without your spouse interfering with that process.

If you are thinking about ending your marriage, it’s generally a good idea to consult with an attorney. He or she may be able to talk more about the process of getting divorced without your spouse’s approval. This person may also review financial records, tax returns and other documents to determine what you might be entitled to in a final settlement.