A Family Law Attorney

Who Puts Family First

Can I Resume The Use Of My Maiden Name Prior To My Divorce Being Finalized?

Resuming Your Maiden Name

As a Berks County Lawyer, attorney Joseph A. Guillama has had female clients ask whether or not they were permitted to begin resuming their maiden name as opposed to continuing to use their Husband’s name. The quick answer to this question is “yes” – you are able to resume the use of your maiden name upon filing the proper documentation with the Berks County Prothonotary’s Office. It is important to understand that the Berks County Prothonotary’s Office charges a filing fee to do this.

Should you wish to resume the use of your maiden name even prior to your divorce being finalized, contact Berks County Attorney Joseph A. Guillama to discuss the preparation of documents that would allow you to do this.