Can the Court divide only some of our assets prior to my divorce being finalized?


As a Berks County Divorce Attorney, Joe Guillama has had clients ask him whether or not the Court has the ability to divide only some marital assets now while dividing other marital assets and debs at the conclusion of the divorce. Fortunately, the Pennsylvania Divorce Code gives the Court this authority.

Specifically 23 Pa.C.S.A. Section 3503(f) is entitled "Partial Distribution" and states "The Court, upon the request of either party, may at any stage of the proceedings enter an Order providing for an interim distribution or assignment of marital property".

Accordingly, if you and your spouse are going through a divorce and you wish for the Court to divide one asset, say for example, a retirement account, investment account, or even the marital home, while not dividing the remaining marital assets and debts until the divorce is finalized, contact Berks County Divorce Attorney Joseph A. Guillama to discuss your options.